Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Powerlessness and Anger

Just some quick thoughts about powerlessness and anger. Today was one of those days when nothing went right. Phone died, clients canceling because of bad weather, and so on, and so on. Only for a few moments today did I feel like I had any control over my day. today was also a day that I found my self struggling with intense anger. Why is it that when we feel powerless we get angry. I think the main reason is that it's scary when we are faced with the fact that we don't have as much control over our lives as we thought. This is especially true when we've had experiences early on in life where we felt out of control, or trapped in a situation. Though we might feel fear, anger is a much safer place. There is no sense of vulnerability in being angry.