Monday, April 11, 2011

The Story of Robert: 70 and Ready to Fight

The following is shared with the permission of Robert:

This past weekend I flew out to Newport Beach, California to help staff the Everyman's Battle Conference for New Life ministries. Once I arrived I was given the names of the 7 men that I would be leading over the next 3 days. Robert didn't stand out to me at that point, but by the end of the weekend I would never forget him.

As the men gathered in my hotel room for the first session I was a little nervous as Robert entered the room. He was obviously older than the others, and deep down inside I had bought into the lie that "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." I could already imagine him questioning me, and wondering if this 36 year old "kid" had anything to offer him.

It didn't take long to see his heart and realize that I had completely misjudged this man. He shared his story, and for the first time shed tears for a father that kept him at arms length from childhood until his death. Clearly this was a man who was eager to connect with others, and had a genuine desire to change.

The most powerful moment came midway through the second day of the conference. Sitting in a circle on the sixth floor of the Radisson Robert declared "I want to get control of my addiction before I die." Now some other men might have said those words in a joking manner. Meaning they wanted to see victory sooner rather than later. But Robert literally meant he wanted to finish the race strong. He wasn't afraid to admit that at 70 time is precious and running short. His body and the 4 funerals he had attended in the last few months were reminders that time is fleeting.

It wasn't until later that day that Robert's words caught up with me. Once they did I found myself deeply moved by a man who had decided that he was going out with his boots on! More than that he had also shared his desire to help other men his age dealing with the same issues of sexual addiction.

So at 70 years old Robert left the conference not only intent on fighting for his own heart, but also fighting for the hearts of others. I walked away marveling at what I get to see God do, and realizing that He never counts anyone out.